Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Emergence

I received a beautiful gift the other day -- a Monarch butterfly chrysalis waiting to open. Finally, one morning I saw it had just emerged, so I took it outside to set it free.

It took longer than I thought for her wings to dry. She hung on the twig. Moved around to perch in different positions. Tried her wings. Hung there a while more. It took a few hours. But once she made up it's mind she was ready -- she took off! Fast!

Her first flight was only marginally successful -- she landed quickly in the grass. I was afraid the dog would step on her, so I put my finger down and she latched on. She sat there on my hand for a moment, as if catching her breath, then flew away up into the trees.

It was magical and I am reminded how powerful a symbol this is for our life of faith. I recently found this prayer that seemed appropriate:


A Chrysalis of Grace


God

give us

a chrysalis of grace

wrapped around

our lives
& our dreams

& around

our past.
And in the dark & lonely
sometimes
remind us

to change

& grow
as we wait

& wait
& wait

& wonder.
Open our eyes
to see a peak
of light

as bright

breaks through.
Then finally
finally
but gently
slowly

push us
into the future
to emerge
a new creature
transformed
to realize

these wings
are meant

to fly.
Amen
.

by Tracey Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment