Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Poetry on Psalm 139

This week during our Lenten poetry workshop on Wednesday nights, we explored Psalm 139, which we will hear again in service this Sunday.  Here are some of the poetic responses:

1. (Written as God's response to hearing the psalm)
I am filled with Joy
having heard from you today.
You are special to me, in even more
ways than you recounted in your Song.

I speak to and listen to all my creation constantly.

My Son and I are planning many
things for you and creation.  Our
Spirits -- Holy and otherwise will always
be near.  Your Constant love.
-- Marydella


2.
We crave
Not so much
To hear the words,
"I love you"
than to hear the words,
"I know you."
I've known you:
I've sat with you,
Risen with you,
Heard you,
Understood you,
Followed you,
Guided you,
Seen you,
Watched you,
Searched you,
Found you,
Laughed with you,
Cried with you,
Embraced you,
Wrestled with you.
I've been there.
I feel you.
I get you.
I know all of you,
And for that,
I love you all the more.
--Anna


3.
God is personal to each one of us.  God is all knowing and all powerful.  We cannot hide from this fact by night or day or distance.  God created each one of us.

Praise God for his goodness.  Let us be reminded and let us live in the certainty that God is good.
--Gates


4.
You know me,
    all my ways

You guide me and
    hold me fast

You create my inmost
   being

Your thoughts are precious
    to me

Your works are wonderful

Lead me in the way
   everlasting.
--Laura Grace

5. (Haiku)
You know all my ways
Your thoughts and works are precious
lead me in your way
--Laura Grace

6.
What do you expect of me, Lord.
You already know everything about me.

I'm confused about where to go, or what to do.
You are totally aware of my thoughts and actions
and I can't find a private place to figure them out -

Please share your precious thoughts with me-
that I may not offend you-
but be led by you into eternity -
--Billie

7. (Haiku)
You have searched me, Lord
Darkness is as light to you.
Lead me in your way.
--Kathy

8. (Written in God's voice)
I know you, my child.
I created you and know everything about you.
Even before you speak I know what you will say.
I will support and guide you at all times
and yet sometimes you try to hide from me.
Remember that you are precious to me.
--Kathy

9. (Haiku)
Know my anxious thoughts
How precious are your thoughts, God
I know that full well
--Kathy

10.  (Written in a surly teenager's voice)
OK Mr. BIG - so you want me to thin you know everything and I'm supposed to believe you know all about me
You know, I could call you a stalker -- you are almost like glue or alien slime -- dang I can't get away from you!
If I think about it, I guess it could be worse -- after all, if I do need something, all I have to do is blink or something since you are supposed to know everything --
OK, Mr. God, if I buy into your story and pronouncement that you are the one know it all -- if it is really true, I guess that is kinda cool
Yeah, if this is true, then I guess it is even kind of nice -- like even if I'm just a number -- you know all the stuff about me -- yeah, like you made me.
Wow, when I think of all this like I'm special or something - it is kinda cool.  I still could blame you for all the crap I've had -- after all you said you made me and know me.
Hey, I'll give you a chance -- why not, nothing lost and could be something gained.
OK, we'll play it your way - check me out - fix any broken pieces and let's see what's up --
--Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment