Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Monday, July 8, 2013

UCC General Synod 2013 at Long Beach, California -- God's Vision



It was wonderful to be able to be part of General Synod 29, held in Long Beach, California, along with Rev. Anna Humble. This is the national gathering of the United Church of Christ and happens every other year. There are delegates, like Rev. Humble, from every conference who have voice and vote at the plenary business sessions. I was not a delegate, but a visitor, so I could watch the business sessions but not participate. There were also worship services every day (usually 2 hours!), workshops, and an exhibit hall with information about many different ministries affiliated with the UCC, as well as merchandise. Approximately 3,000 people (delegates, visitors, etc.) attended General Synod this year from all over the UCC. The theme was “God’s Vision.”
Although I couldn’t participate in the committees or voting at the plenary sessions, I really appreciated being able to watch the wider church function. We are so diverse – in about any way you can name. We often disagree. But we come together still – working, worshipping, striving to follow God’s vision. We can take prophetic stands on controversial issues because they are resolutions – not mandates. This allows the wider church discernment process – as local churches and members prayerfully consider these resolutions – to guide us forward.  It’s a slow and often frustrating process – moving ahead with all the speed of a herd of turtles. Not another study – people could be heard to say. And resolutions would be passed to begin to start a conversation about a difficult topic. But experiencing this process in action I do feel it is Spirit-filled and Spirit-led.
I strongly encourage all UCC members who are able to try to attend General Synod at least once. It is a whole other aspect of being the church that is very valuable to experience, both for you and your local church. I will be encouraging our church to budget to send a representative in Synod years.  We are part of something bigger – and we need to remember that.
I wanted to set down some of what I took away from this experience and share it with you.  I could have done it real-time, day-by-day. But I think it needed time to percolate in my brain to see what really sticks with me from the experience – what I carry forward into my life and ministry. So for the next several days I will post a series of blogs about what were for me the most significant experiences of the week. I also encourage you, if you are intrigued, to check out some of the video from the conference. There is video of the worship services, plenary sessions, and some of other speakers.
        I hope you can draw something from all this as well – as we also consider God’s Vision for us and our church.

No comments:

Post a Comment