Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

I Love This Solitude -- Day 9


     "My chief joy is to escape to the attic of the garden house and the little broken window that looks out over the valley.  There in the silence I love the green grass.  The tortured gestures of the apple trees have become part of my prayer.  I look at the shining water under the willows and listen to the sweet songs of the living things that are in our woods and fields.  So much do I love this solitude that when I walk out along the road to the old barns that stand alone, far from the new buildings, delight begins to overpower me from head to foot and peace smiles even in the marrow of my bones."                                                                                                    -- Thomas Merton, The Sign of Jonas

    There are so many places or pictures that capture my attention and invite me to just be alone with God.  I love this photo taken at the Arboretum because there are no  distractions.  My mind can't drift away in color or scenery.  I can't go far from here past the windows so I can just be in the quiet Presence of God.


Submitted by Nancy Blatchley

1 comment: