Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Spirit of Advent -- Day 2


"Nativity" by He Qi, China

“O Come, O Come Emmanuel” #114
Text: Henry Sloane Coffin       Tune: VENI EMMANUEL

O come, O come Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice!  Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-star, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice!  Rejoice!  Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, OIsrael.

Music has always been at the very heart of my faith practice.  Although today I am a preacher, there is no sermon that has ever moved me more than the contemporary American composer John Adam’s Christmas oratorio, El Nino.  And although I often write and lead prayers for our congregation, there is no pastoral prayer that has ever transcended for me like the words of the hymn “Be Thou My Vision” that Rob and I sang together with our friends and family on our wedding day.   Music is the language my soul speaks.  And I can think of no other time of year that music speaks to me more than during Advent.

An Advent Wreath
If I were to pick a theme song for Advent, it would have to be “O Come, O Come Emmanuel.”  In fact, many churches have been using this hymn as such since the 19th century during their Advent worship services, singing verses 1 & 2 during the first Sunday of Advent, verses 3 & 4 the second Sunday, verses 5 & 6 the third Sunday, and verses 1 & 7 on the last Sunday.  The text, based on Isaiah 7:14, reminds us all that Advent is a season in which we wait and watch for the messiah, while the ancient and haunting character of the melody, based on an 8thcentury Gregorian chant, perfectly paints the meditative and hopeful mood ofthe season.

The word "advent" is not church jargon for what the world calls “Christmastime;” it has its own distinctive dark and hopeful beauty that is typified by this hymn.  Down South in the land of sunshine and warmth, the cheerful chaos of our culture’s Christmastime stands in stark contrast to the authentic spirit and mood of Advent as it is still lived out in the Church.  Even so, Advent and our world’s “Christmastime” don't need to be in competition with each other, though they often can be.  No Christian needs to dump Santa, Rudolf, and Frosty the Snowman in order to keep the sanctity of Advent!  You might find, however, that Advent in the Church becomes a respite from Christmastime in the world.  I know that when my calendar is packed with parties and my budget is blasted by gifts, when my family is bickering and I’ve burned or scarfed every dessert in sight, I know that I can step into Christ’s Church, and find quiet peace and joy in the spirit of Advent. 

What is the spirit of Advent?  I can’t really describe it, but I hear it in the words and the melody of “O Come, O Come Emmanuel.”  I heard it as I walked alone one dark and cold night through the snow in Harvard Yard, with my boots crunching beneath me, and with my wet nose tucked behind my scarf.  I felt it when I was 8 months pregnant one Christmas Eve, a time when I was waiting like I had never waited before, filled with hope, fear, and new life.  I’ve seen it the starry night sky, like the one that shone down on the shepherds and wisemen so many nights ago.  I've practiced it with you when together we've prayed as a church family in waiting for what has begun, but is not yet completed: the Kindom of God -- the place where all are recognized as kin, where the “ransom captives”are set free, “death’s dark shadows [are] put to flight,” every tear is wiped away, peace reigns on Earth, justice is free for all, and love is the only rule we know.  And until that day arrives, we wait in Advent hope.


1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to post your thoughts, comments, and ideas in response to the Advent devotionals here so we can discuss online!

    ReplyDelete