Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Advent 14 - Celtic Prayer




Celtic-style prayers are particularly good for meditating on God in the world. They invoke a sense of being surrounded by God, and an awareness of God in the ordinary, everyday aspects of life. For the Celts, God wasn’t somewhere “up there,” or not only; and the birth of Christ wasn’t something that happened millennia ago, or not only.
            Because the Celts believe that God is with them in every aspect of their lives and their world, their prayer was often spontaneous or easy to craft or learn, because it simply named that truth. A famous Celtic prayer is St. Patrick’s Breastplate, the last portion of which goes:

Christ behind and before me,
Christ beneath and above me,
Christ with me and in me,
Christ around and about me,
Christ on my left and my right,
Christ when I rise in the morning,
Christ when I lie down at night,
Christ in each heart that thinks of me,
Christ in each eye that sees me,
Christ in each ear that hears me.

Good to think about in Advent, as we wait for the Christ to be born again in us and in our world. That miraculous birth can happen anywhere and everywhere.
             I invite you to write a Celtic-style prayer of your own. Below is a sample you can use for inspiration – or just rewrite this prayer substituting everyday, ordinary things and actions in your own life (like dressing and walking) you want to see God in. Be creative and go in your own direction.

God to enfold me,                              Christ in my life,                   God this morning,
God to surround me,                          Christ in my lips,                   God this noon,
God in my speaking,                          Christ in my hands,               God the evening,
God in my thinking.                           Christ in my heart.                 God this night.

God in my sleeping,                           God in my working,              Be thou before me,
God in my waking,                            God in my playing,                Be thou beside me
God in my watching,                         God in my living,                   Be thou beneath me,
God in my hoping.                             God in my dying.                   Be though behind me.


-- Rev. Christine Ng

No comments:

Post a Comment