Media and Publications

Welcome! We are an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here! To visit or return to our website, click here: Website Home.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Advent 19 - Wait and Watch and Pray and Work




As is my usual weekday morning routine, this morning I began the day with a daily devotional reading and meditation and, of course, the morning news (CBS This Morning is my morning show of choice). Today’s lead stories struck me as particularly hard to watch. They included three shooting tragedies that took me aback.
 
-A religious militant opened fire on a school in Pakistan, leaving 141 (many of whom were children) dead and many others wounded.
-Three people dead after an Australian hostage situation.
-An Iraqi War veteran kills his ex-wife and five of her family members.
 
Lord have mercy! These events (though they are by no means the only elements of bad news in the world) seemed to take my breath away! However hard to hear, they immediately made think of Advent. This period of waiting, waiting for the Christ, and waiting for the promise represents exactly how I felt this morning. Yes, I am a man in waiting. I’m waiting for peace! I’m waiting for justice! I’m ready for love!
 
So….I wait. I wait for God. I wait for the manifestation of God’s promise. I wait and watch and pray and work! For this is Advent.

-- Rev. Ray Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment